STORE RESTOCK COMING SOON!
One Pot Magic Chicken Garlic Stew
Equally a stew and a braise, this soup combines the caramelized flavors of French onion soup with the heart-warming goodness of a slow-cooked homemade chicken soup into something like the Platonic ideal of The Brothy Bowl. Plus, all the magic happens in one dish – pop it in the oven for a few hours and let your home fill with warmth and the radiant smell of a savory, slurpy, succulent dinner to come.
6 Chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. bay leaf powder
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp. Kosher coarse salt
4-5 medium yellow onions
2 tbs. butter
1 ½ tbs. Rhea The Deep Fermented Black Garlic Concentrate
¼ c. dry white wine
1 ½ - 2 c. chicken stock
1 tbs. soy sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Pat the chicken dry and coat with salt, bay leaf powder, and white pepper.
- Chop onions lengthwise into thin slivers.
- Heat olive oil on high in a Dutch oven or cast-iron pot and sear chicken thighs on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the thighs from the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt.
- Add the onions to the pan, turning to coat them evenly in the butter. Once the onions begin to wilt, add The Deep and stir to evenly coat the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent and begin to brown at the edges, add the white wine and stir to combine.
- Nestle the seared chicken thighs among the onions so that they are mostly submerged and not touching one another.
- Add the chicken stock, adding enough to cover the onions and chicken by about 1-inch.
- Cook for 90 minutes.
- Once the onions have melted into a silky soup, remove the stew from the oven and pull the thighs apart using two forks. Taste for saltiness. If it needs a bit more salinity, add a dash of soy sauce. You could stop here and delight in a perfect winter soup. Or, you could add some torn leafy greens, carrots, beans, or herbs. You could top with olive-oil crispy croutons or simply ladle some into a bowl and get warm from the inside out.